Saturday, April 11, 2009

Leonid Arkayev - the most terrible punishment - to do nothing

On Sunday March the 29th, in Saransk, in the presence of the minister of sports of the Russian Federation, Vitaly Mutko, and the head of Republic Mordovia, Nikolay Merkushkina, will pass the ceremony of the opening of a new training centre in Detsko - Olympic reserve school bearing the name of the head - the great Leonid Arkayev. On the eve of this event, All Sports reporter Evgeniy Slyusarenko has asked Leonid Arkayev about the new training centre, preparation of London 2012 and his desire to return to the Russian national team.

The training centre of Saransk - the best in the world.

How was it possible to entice you into Saransk? - the great Arkayev?

"A good question *smiles*. First of all, I have direct Morodovian roots. My parents were natives of the village Saygushi, near Saransk. Besides, I the head of the republic, Nikolay Ivanovichem Merkushkin, well - we are friends. And the main thing - I was enticed here by a training centre. More precisely, not this centre - a centre which did not exist two years ago. I remember perfectly our conversation two years ago. "With pleasure I will return to my native land, but I have no place to work for you." He cut me off. "The place will be.""

And what is in this hall?

"Actually, the most important thing is not the hall, but what is in it. The republic has bought all the best equipment for sports training in the world. As you can see, it is literally larded (?!) by all the advanced training equipment. According to Mekushkin, it cost about a million dollars."

What, it is really a great training centre?

"Now you do not respect (believe?) me. I have said: with respect to equipment, it is the best in the world. And also: a separate training complex, and a building where children can rest in between training."

How many are at the school?

"First of all, I tell you that we accept all. Moreover, we have gone to kindergartens. In five areas of the republic we have trainers who are engaged in search of the presented kiddies. Thus, we now have about a thousand pupils (wow!) The majority of them are kindergarteners."

Why so young?

"[...] Now it is necessary to have taken gymnastics for at least eight years (or from eight years old, I'm not sure) to train professionally, to eat professionally. Because for the development of the Olympic athlete eight to ten years are necessary. Only then will it be possible to have the preparation necessary for Olympic victories. From this point of view, all conditions are created in Saransk. So I think that in the next few years, we will have very strong gymnasts."

The next few years are how many?

"Four to six years. But we will already try to get gymnasts on the London team. Certainly, much will depend on good luck, and from our patience, and from their objective possibilities."

Those who have not seen me for several years, say that I look younger!

When did you start to work in Saransk?

"About March of 2007. No, before that as well, but the level was low. It was no shock to me - I have spent time in Saransk before - for example, the Cup of Arkaev - and I knew what was happening here."

And where did you work before the opening of the hall?

"We had a small centre. All this time, I worked and waited for the hall promised by Merkushkin. I knew that he would make good on his promise."

Where do you live?

"In the usual one-room apartment. It suits me. Well, I was promised something bigger, but I don't need it. The main thing is the hall to work in. [something....] I rise at 4:30 in the mornings, and begin trainings at 6:30."

What have you returned to the USSR? (?)

"That's an interesting question. I can tell that in Morodovia everything is done that people can participate in sport. And children here, you know, are somehow more conscious. They already understand, not simply that they are trained, but that they prepare in the future to represent their republic, their country. I did not notice this in the last few years of the national team."

Do you not miss the "big gymnastics"?

Absolutely not. On the contrary, I have received rest here. In big-time sports, the main stimulus for sportsmen is urging them on. Children are more susceptible [something], with them you see the fruits of your work faster. Medals, cups - all is nonsense, it happens in the end. And with the children I see how they are growing not by day, but by hour! Those who haven't seen me for years, say that I look younger! *smiles*

I don't aspire to train a national team again

And if you were called back to train the national team?

"I would think very hard, so that I could make the right decision. I would weigh all the pros and cons. But I am comfortable here in Saransk, I constantly see progress, I feel the support of the republic management. It would take a very good argument to leave."

You don't dream to train the national team again?

"At the present, I do not dream of it at all. I did not really like it [I'm not sure if I got that right] and it was work, heavy work. On the one hand, popularity, honour, respect - on the other, all mortal sins (meaning pride etc). I have learnt it well. Then nothing will rescue you - not friendship, nor old merits. Therefore I do not aspire to it. But if there is a need, then I am ready to help. Without big ambitions."

Tou do see is necessary to return Russian gymnastics to its former heights?

"First, the Soviet techniques need to be understood correctly. It is not enough to follow them blindly, without understanding. And then it will be different analysis, the extraction of the abilities from the students. And, of course, it will be necessary to work in the way we worked before."

And this is not happening now?

"I am no longer with the national team, but even so I can tell if there are the relations between gymnasts and coaches to work as a team, not as individuals. [that bit was muddly, and i may not have got it quite right] If it is so, good results will come. Actually, the Olympic Games in Beijing have shown that. The gymnasts worked not for a team, but for themselves."

And what about the spitpoisons [ha I love Russian idioms!] who say, "here Arkayeva has found a cushy job to meet his old age"?

"I will agree with them. I have really found a place where it is possible to adequately meet old age *laughs*. And what is bad about it? The point is - to be worthy, to work. I know inactivity. For half a year after the Athens Games when I had left, I did nothing. I felt as though I began to die. I sat and waited to die. Now I understand - to do nothing, it is horror, the most terrible punishment for the person."

No comments:

Post a Comment